How Cell Phones Have Changed Education

Noah Ferguson, Staff Writer

“I use my phone for school work, if the teacher permits.”
Noah Ferguson

Imagine a world where world of mouth was the fastest form of communication, where you had to print flyers to promote your business and if you were bored in class you would stare out the window and daydream. This is the world before the reign of technology. Cell phones could be said to be the prominent killer of spare time, then study time, then school time, then all time.

Walking down the hallway you encounter texting, listening to music, checking Instagram. You could say technology has a huge impact on our lives.

“We use our phones more than we should,” said Krys Dumlao, student at Old Mill High School.

She mainly uses her phone for texting and listening to music sometimes. She told the wonders of in-person conversation, scarce in our generation.

“When I was in high school we didn’t have personal cellphones,” said Mr. Todd. “If we wanted to get in contact with somebody, we’d page them. Then, they would have to find a pay phone to call us back on.”

Now it’s much simpler: grab your phone and call or text your friend. It’s a change, but the cons are outweighed by positive, and easier alternatives. Messaging, phone calls, news, entertainment all instantly.

“I use my phone for school work, if the teacher permits” said Fernando Burke, also a student at Old Mill High. He told about the importance of balance while using phones and how easy it is to pay too much attention to your phone and not to the class. Wise words from the young freshman Burke. Balance is such an important factor, not only in cellphone control, but life in general.

“The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom.”