Patriots Off To Hot Start

Vincent Moreland, Staff Writer

(L-R) Marcel Jenkins, Kewannie Edwards, Lavarr Holbrook, three of the starting five on this year's boys' varsity team.

Vincent Moreland
(L-R) Marcel Jenkins, Kewannie Edwards, Lavarr Holbrook, three of the starting five on this year’s boys’ varsity team.

It’s a new season for the 2015-2016 Old Mill boys varsity basketball team. Last year they were eliminated by the Meade Mustangs in the sectional finals. This year the Patriots are out for revenge and plan to make noise this year.

Second-year head coach Mike Francis believes that the team is definitely better now that his players have played a year in his system. Last year the Patriots were 13-11. Coach Francis believes that Meade, Glen Burnie, Annapolis, and Southern can also be threats in Anne Arundel County.

“I think we are prepared this year because we have more experience,” said Francis.

Of all the teams in the county the Mustangs provide the greatest motivation because of last year’s elimination game.

Francis had this to say, “We’re going to approach Meade the way we approach everybody else hoping that we don’t make too many mistakes. We always tell our team that the biggest team we have to worry about is Old Mill and make sure we do things right.”

The team had a lot of good moments last season.

“My favorite part was reaching the sectional finals last year against Meade. I thought it was a good moment for our program.”

So far the Patriots got off to a 1-0 start after defeating North County 67-55. Guard Camari Wilkerson reached a milestone on Friday, December 4th as he now has 1000 points in his high school career. Francis and the Patriots are hungry this year and they will try their hardest on their quest to states.

OLD MILL 79 LAUREL 71

On Wednesday December 9th, at James R. Dillon gymnasium, senior guard Camari Wilkerson led the Old Mill boys’ varsity basketball team by putting up 42 points against the Laurel Spartans. Junior forward Marcel Jenkins said, “We played sloppy, but we’re going to get better.”

OLD MILL 69, NORTHEAST 60

The Patriots defeated the Eagles at home to increase their record to 3-0.