Getting a Job as a High Schooler

Back to Article
Back to Article

Getting a Job as a High Schooler

Sophomore Metaxia Kolendrianos with an application form to the Maryland Renaissance Festival

Caleb Ellison, Staff Writer

The satisfaction of graduating high school is one thing, but the satisfaction of graduating with some money in your pocket you earned from working is so much sweeter. The following is a guide on how to get a job as a high schooler.

Pros of getting a job include establishing work experience before graduation, and with proper saving techniques, having hard-earned dollars available, which can help for any potential college costs.

“It gets me money,” said sophomore Kylan Rober.

The first step to getting a job, is to find a place that is hiring. Look for stores, fast-food restaurants, and other places that have “Help Wanted” posters outside. If no signs are posted but you’re still interested in working there, then it will never hurt to ask an employee about potential job opportunities.

It would be best to find a workplace and work environment based around a topic that you enjoy. For example, if you like fashion, then working at a retail clothes store would be a great fit for your interests. This will also help during the interview process. The hiring manager may ask questions about the products or material you’ll be handling with. If you’re knowledgeable in the subject, then it can increase the likelihood of you being hired.

Make your résumé look appealing and make yourself look your best. Good things to include in the résumé would be academic achievements, any volunteer work with the date that you did it, and it is vital to include your name, phone number, and email. When describing your strengths on the résumé, use advanced vocabulary; a showing of intelligence is always helpful.

Another important piece of paperwork is a Maryland work permit, that must be signed by a parent or legal guardian.

If you don’t get an immediate callback after applying, be persistent about calling them for any status updates. Eventually the person who answers the phone will get tired of you calling them and will ask to bring you in for an interview.

At the interview, dress professionally and act confident. After the interview if you get the job, congratulations, but make sure you’re not late on your first day. If you don’t get the job, then try again later or try to apply at a different store.