Advanced Placement VS. The International Baccalaureate Program

Tori Callender, Staff Writer

AP V.S. IB

AP and IB classes are advanced classes that some students chose to take throughout their four years here at Old Mill. While IB is a program and AP are individually chosen classes created by The College Board, which course truly prepares our student body for college?

High school can be a difficult and confusing time for adolescents. This sparks the controversial question every high school student must ask themselves — What classes will I take? For some, standard and honors courses are a good fit, but for others, classes that are little academically challenging are a better choice. That’s where choosing to be in The IB Program or taking Advanced Placement classes comes in.

The purpose of Advanced Placement (AP) courses are to incorporate a standardized level of challenging college coursework while in high school. Once a student has completed the course, they can choose to take the AP Exam to potentially gain college credit and test out of entry level classes once they get to college.

Since Old Mill is considered an “IB School” it offers the program for students who are eligible. The International Baccalaureate Program is a rigorous course of study for highly motivated students. Student work is graded on global standards by assessors around the world, and an IB diploma is internationally honored by universities as proof of excellent preparedness for college work.

According to Senior Anthony Liberatori, IB was the best fit for him: “I’m a better presenter than writer, the curriculum is just different,” said Liberatori.

The question of whether AP or IB is better at preparing you is subjective. Most colleges give credit for AP exams and higher-level IB exams, but not all give credit for standard-level IB exams. So to answer this truly controversial question, it depends on the student and which course chose is a better fit for him or her academically.