2019 Girl’s Basketball Season Wrap-Up

Caleb Ellison, Staff Writer

The Old Mill Lady Patriots basketball team turned in another outstanding performance in the 2019 winter season. With a regular season Win-Loss record of 18-3, and winning their 5th straight county championship.

Led by seniors Julia Bagnell, Sydney Faulcon, Destiny Galloway, and Briana White, the Lady Patriots battled hard all year long to call themselves County Champions one more year.

“Great. The hard-work finally paying off,” said senior Sydney Faulcon about winning the county championship. The 6’ 2” center Faulcon had a big year at Old Mill. On February 8th at North County High School, she scored her 1,000th career point playing for the Lady Patriots. Faulcon plans to continue her playing career at the collegiate level at Niagara University.

The Lady Patriots were able to enter the playoffs as a 1 seed. After defeating the Meade Lady Mustangs in the 4A East Section Final 65-50 on March 7th, the team then traveled to the

The girl’s basketball team during a timeout in the 4th quarter in the 4A East Section Finals.

gym of the South River Lady Seahawks for the region championship match. It was a back-and-forth, dramatic match-up between the two teams. It was only fitting for the game to end in overtime, where the Lady Patriots were able to take the lead without looking back. The final score of the game was 57-54.

The road to the state championship had one more stop, in the SECU Arena at Towson University. On Thursday, March 14th, the Lady Patriots faced off against the Bethesda-Chevy Chase Lady Barons. The score of the game for most of the time was in BCC’s favor, with Old Mill facing a 7-point deficit heading into the 4th quarter. The Lady Patriots knew it would take hard work to be able to call themselves winners. While it was a team effort, a shining star of the quarter was junior Deja Atkinson. Atkinson had 13 points in the game, however the most crucial of those points came at the free-throw line.

“I just got to make them,” said junior Deja Atkinson when asked about the thoughts going through her head when she was at the free-throw line in the 4th quarter. Before long the Lady Patriots had the lead, and by the time the final buzzer rang, the final score was Old Mill 57 – Bethesda-Chevy Chase 55.

Saturday March 16th, the 4A State Championship game against the Charles H. Flowers Lady Jaguars. As supporters of both teams filled the SECU Arena, there would only be one team able to call themselves state champions. With Old Mill leading by 1 point

The Old Mill student body showing their support for Girl’s Basketball.

at halftime; this would be when all the practices, drills, everything needed to come together to hold the lead. After half-time the Lady Patriots were at a disadvantage, with many players having multiple fouls on them. Old Mill could not play the style of defense it had been playing all year. At the end of the game, the Lady Jaguars were victorious with a score of 57-42.

The season ended bitterly. However Old Mill has nothing to feel bad about. The future looks very bright for the team. With five rising seniors on the team roster, the team is capable of once again calling themselves county champs and then some. “[We will] continue to be the best team in the county,” said senior Julia Bagnell.