Screen Time 101

Dontae Shannon & Taleja Turner, Staff Writers

Stop and think, “How much time do I look at a screen?” Not just to your TV but to your cellphone, your iPad, and maybe even your Apple Watch. Not only in your home but how often are you on your phone instead of being more engaged in the lesson?

According to Common Sense Media, teens spend an average of nine hours a day online (paywall), compared to about six hours for those aged eight to 12 a

nd 50 minutes for kids between one and eight. Any way you cut it, it’s a lot of time staring at a screen.

(Common Sense Media)

According to the study, 60% of teens—those between

the ages of 13 to 17—say that spending too much time online is a “major” problem facing their age group, with about nine in 10 teens dubbing it a problem. More than half of teens (54%) say they spend too much time on their cellphones, and 41% say they overdo it on

social media. (QT.com)

Some parents don’t find themselves concerned about the screen time in the home environment and don’t see it as an addicting act.

Out of 30 kids polled it was found only eleven thought they were “Addicted” to their phone.

Out of the same 30, 80% of kids said that they used their phone at home more than at school.

Only 40% of kids had a tablet or extra mobile device

Out of those who would rather stream a show on their phone, 50% said they preferred their phone.

Adults find themselves concerned about the use of cellphones in school. Math teacher Mr. Bloh finds that kids having phones in school isn’t a good thing

“I think cellphones in school are extremely distracting to kids,” Bloh said. “It makes it to where they can’t pay attention to what’s going on especially when they’re going to be listening to music. In class it’s very difficult to multitask and listen to the instructor and music all at the same time plus with all the other stimulation when it comes to playing games and going on social media. I think it’s overall a bad thing for our students.”

Spanish teacher and longtime Old Mill employee Ms. Schmidt says she sees the bad but also provides insight on how the cellphones in school can help students.

“I think cellphones can be beneficial especially in Spanish where students can look up words and definitions be right at their fingertips,” Schmidt said. “But while learning a different language, phones can be very distracting and that can be costly. But they (cellphones) are very beneficial when playing games like Kahoot.”

An underlying concern of screen time is how much time teenagers spend on video game consoles.

“Teens are spending more than one-third of their days using media such as online video or music — nearly nine hours on average, according to a new study from the family technology education non-profit group, Common Sense Media. For tweens, those between the ages of 8 and 12, the average is nearly six hours per day.” (Washington Post)

Out of thirty kids polled only six had a gaming console and said they played video games excessively. According to the Washington Post the average kid 8-12 spends 8-12 hours on a game console.