Old Mill Marching Band wins state championships

14

1

Ryan Park and Chester Jackson, Staff Writers

Mr. Von Sas standing below the 2A State Championship banner

MILLERSVILLE, MD – The Old Mill Senior High School marching band won the state championship on Saturday, October 20th at Towson University with a score of 90.513 total points, beating other bands.

The marching band members were amazed that they had finally won a state championship since Old Mill had not won a state championship since 1992, 26 years ago.

“Been killing each and every competition,” said Marching Band Baritone player Vincent Almeda.

It was a cold, windy, and cloudy Saturday at Towson University and even though the Marching band had its hiccups, they came home with first place in their class.

Some marching band members believed the star performer was Devon Kaestner, the marching band drum major (That’s the person whose job is to keep time for his or her respective marching bands) while other band members believed there was no star performer at all and believed it was a team effort.

Overall, the marching band members seemed satisfied with their victory. It was a very good season for the marching band in which at every competition, it earned first place with the exception of one competition at Broadneck High School where they earned second. The competition was fierce at Towson University with a showdown with many other High Schools including Rockville High, Annapolis Area Christian School, and Century High School.

According to Preston Hill, a marching band Base one Battery Drumline performer, he considered the marching band to also be Virginia State Champions after earning a score greater than the top-scoring marching band from Virginia. Kendra Snyder, a marching band trombone player, firmly believed that the entire band put a great amount of time and effort into the show.