Social Media War

Snapchat has been proven to be the most popular social media platform with students at Old Mill High School with survey results.

Results show that Snapchat was the most popular out of 4 social media platforms and 169 students. Old Mill High School students use their phones quite a lot in class, and technology has become a bigger part of even schoolwork itself. They use many different social media platforms and for the most part the main one you may hear about is Snapchat. Out of Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat, and Twitter, Snapchat was the most popular with Instagram coming in at a close second. Snapchat is a social media app that allows you to take pictures, record videos, and send messages to your friends as well as read their “stories,” which are composed of select pictures and videos.

Within the student body, an average of 12.9 hours a day are spent on electronic devices in general, a large amount of that time being on social media. Most people prefer looking at funny pictures or sports, but others also like stories, communication, puppies/cute animal pictures, and memes. Many students prefer sporty or funny posts (genre) but scary and romantic posts are also a favorite. Social media platforms like Snapchat are primarily used for entertainment and communication and most students replied “no” when asked if they could do without social media for a week.

“You stay connected,” Melanie Frye says, “you stay connected and share your life with others, that’s what’s so appealing.”

Social Media Logos

L-R: Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat and Facebook.