The Key to Success

Mr.+Ryan+Knight+is+supervisor+of+Old+Mill+High+School%27s+Key+Club.+

Mr. Ryan Knight is supervisor of Old Mill High School's Key Club.

By Natalie Perron and Tristen Klipp, Staff Writers

The Key Club at Old Mill High School meets in Mr. Knight’s room, in the science department, every other Tuesday during PRIDE period. The club, formerly run by Ms. Ryan and Mrs. Linnell, is focused primarily on community service. The club members believe that their volunteering beneficially impacts the Millersville community.

Key Club International is the oldest service program for high school students in the United States. It was founded in 1925. It is student-led, with a primary goal of developing leadership through service activity. The Key Club flag, shown in the image (above) next to club sponsor Mr. Knight, is blue, gold, and white. Blue represents character, gold means service, and white symbolizes purity. The Key Club International Pledge is as follows; “I pledge, on my honor, to uphold the Objects of Key Club International; to build my home, school and community; to serve my nation and God; and combat all forces which tend to undermine these institutions.”

Currently, the Key Club of Old Mill High is participating in fundraisers. They also make lunches for Sarah’s House, a charity-funded support housing service in Ft. Meade, every other Tuesday during PRIDE. Assisting the club in this task is always appreciated. The Key Club also helps with concert setup, setting up chairs and helping with ticket sales, whenever the Old Mill Music Department has a performance for Chorus, Steel Drum, etc.

“Key Club is a student-led organization, where we do community service to earn hours that help us build leadership and character skills while helping our community. I joined Key Club to make new friends, develop stronger leadership skills and help better our community. It is truly a great, exciting and motivating club to be in,” said club member Paige Martin, grade 11.