Family Connection > WiFi Connection

By: Sam Hall and Natalie Dame, Satff Writers

Imagine you are driving late at night on an empty road when your car breaks down. It’s cold, rainy, and there’s nobody around you to help. The closest gas station is two miles away, and so, having no other choice, you walk down the road in search of help.

But this is something we no longer have to suffer through. Yes, having access to a phone at all times allows you to have help at all times. Running late, your parents text you to make sure you’re okay. Easily, you can respond giving both of you peace of mind.

The invention of the cell phone made a practical, convenient device that allowed people to communicate and stay connected with the world around them. The cell phone has opened many doors, but it has closed some as well.

We as a society are very adaptable, but is bringing a phone into a family affect the family’s connection? In Old Mill High School, students tend to spend half or more of their family dinners with the phone away, and have most of their dinners spent sitting down with their family. Putting the phone away at the table may sound simple, but it can be difficult for some students. Most students feel attached to their phone; they use it to speak out, stay connected, and as an escape. Without this crutch, some students feel effects similar to those effects of withdraw.

“I feel like I’m missing out,” said Junior Callie Tripp when asked how she feels when she is without her phone.

But there’s another side as well. Our phones double as our newspaper, television, magazine, book, mailbox, camera, map, and many other things that connect us with our world. If you went without your phone for the day, it would be the same as someone not reading a newspaper or book, watching television, weather, and not having access to easy maps and a way to stay connected with your friends.

“My mom tells me how much I’m on my phone, but she doesn’t realize that she’s on as much as I am. We don’t read the newspaper, this is how we find out about everything,” said Junior Meilin Harwood.

Parents constantly fear for their child’s safety, and being able to constantly check up on them any time they want eases their worry. A test by the Anxiety and Depression Association of America claims that over 3.3 million Americans are diagnosed with anxiety during any given year. However, these numbers are expected to rise as new stressors are introduced. For example: phone related stress.

Most of the students interviewed were asked how they feel without their phone. None of the answers were positive. Words such as “stressed” and “disconnected” were often said, showing that we’ve adapted to rely on our phone to always be there, and it’s not just teenagers. Parents, in theory, are more connected with their children, as discussed above, however, that isn’t the whole answer.

Children are getting connected into the web younger and younger each year. Some children by the age of seven are receiving their first smart phone, giving them the access to every single app and web page that teens and young adults have access to. Thus, at the age of six, children are being introduced to stressors that will just get worse as they get older.